The CBD BUG has been conducting counts on five key corridors into the CBD for the past two years. Counts are conducted during the morning peak for a 40 minute period. Each corridor is counted once a month on the same weekday as the previous month.
Kurilpa Bridge Counted 7:25 am to 8:05 am
Goodwill Bridge Counted 7:25 am to 8:05 am
Bicentennial Bikeway Counted 7:15 am to 7:55 am
South East Bikeway Counted 7:25 am to 8:05 am
Normanby Ped/cycle Link Counted 7:25 am to 8:05 am
The goal of the counts is to not just understand how many people are using the corridors during peak but to gauge who is riding and what they are riding.
So far the key findings are:
- The majority of riders do not ride drop bar Road Bikes
- Women make up approximately only 18% to 20% of riders
- Men are more likely to ride drop bar road bikes then women
- Men in the majority ride flat bar bikes
- Women in the majority ride flat bar bikes
- Only on the Bicentennial bikeway does drop bar road bikes make the majority of riders
- Patronage continues to increase
- Patronage does not fluctuate according to the season