Following close on last weekend’s promise by LNP Lord Mayor Graham Quirk to spend $120m on Brisbane’s bikeways over the next four years, ALP lord mayoral candidate Ray Smith today promised a range of initiatives:
- $100m for bikeway infrastructure,
- establishment of a formal BUG steering committee
- $600k for a roving team to address minor bikeway maintenance issues,
- $2m (of the $100m) to investigate one green bridge, and
- $280k for installation of bikeway facilities such as electronic bike counters and water fountains
Mr Smith’s policy includes a cycling modeshare target of 3.2% by 2016 (a significant increase above Council’s current projected 2.5%, and double the 2011 modeshare of 1.6%). It also makes positive mention of CityCycle; we hope this signals the end of previous unconstructive criticism of the scheme, and the start of bipartisan support instead.