As discussed at recent meetings, CBD BUG is working to have some road rules that we see as cycle-unfriendly amended. A draft of the proposed changes is available online.
The key proposed changes are to:
- Permit cycling across zebra and signalised crossings unless otherwise signed;
- Recognise a hierarchy of road users within a shared zone: pedestrians, then cyclists, then motorists;
- Remove obligations of cyclists in roundabouts beyond those of motorists;
- Give cyclists crossing the road the same right of way as pedestrians;
- Give cyclists discretion on when it is safe to use a bike lane; and
- Bring general obligations of cyclists more in line with those of other road users.