Here’s hoping that someone knows someone.
Background: Week before last, I received a phone call from Stephen Byrne, asking about social bike rides on the northside of Brisbane or in the city. I didn’t know of any off-hand (and CBD BUG doesn’t run any) but I wrote down his email address and told him I’d do some poking around and email the results to him.
Which of course, leads us here: I wrote down the address incorrectly, and all the obvious alternatives to the address came up as failures.
So, instead, I’m stuffing this message into the ol’ blog-bottle and am hoping that this information gets to where it needs to go.
Stephen, this one’s for you:
You mentioned you were after some social bike rides in the City or Northside, preferably not on road. I haven’t found any pointers to exactly what you’re after, but:
- Gap Cycles in The Gap (Waterworks rd) has a number of rides, including a 6am recreational ride – you’ll need to call them for more info on 3300 3098.
- Lifecycle on Petrie Tce in the City run Saturday morning rides, but I don’t know how beginner-friendly they are. Calling them on 3831 2611 might get you more.
- The Brisbane Bicycle Touring Association runs rides on Saturdays for all experience levels, but again, is on the road in starting in Windsor.
- Victor Cycles on Margaret St in the City also run rides, but they’re really aimed more at the intermediate to experienced road rider. Included more for the sake of comprehensiveness
- Similarly, the Road Grime forums are aimed at the training rides, but give you more of an idea of what’s out there.
- The OurBrisbane listing shows the longer rides and duplicates some of the above info.
- OurBrisbane also has a list of BCC rides – lots of bikeways, so off-road, but not many social rides take to them. It’s more of a find-a-group-of-friends-with-bikes deal.Other places to ask/look is on the BikeQld mailing list (see www.bikeqld.org.au) or give the BCC call centre a ring and ask for their book of bike maps and suggested rides (which is pretty much what you’ll find on the OurBrisbane site, but it’s easier to carry than a computer.)
There you are, then. Late, and not as much help as you’d think, but there.
That being said, if there’s a reader that knows more, please, please, please drop a comment below.