CBD BUG Meeting April 19

Notes from the CBD BUG meeting held Wednesday 19 April 2006, between 1 and 2pm, at the BCC Library Theatrette.

Meeting was called by the CBD BUG membership to discuss CBD BUG Business.

The facilitator was Paul Murdoch. Notes were taken by Sebastian Tauchmann.

Attendees: Sebastian Tauchmann; Bruce MacGregor; Rolf Kuelsen; Peter Berkeley; Leslie Martin; Aaron Wray; Paul French; Deanna Hebst; John Lister; John Nightingale; Emma Scragg; Mark Stanley; Elizabeth Catchpole; Paul Murdoch

Minutes

Agenda item: Apologies

Presenter: Paul Murdoch

Discussion:

Apologies were received from Cameron Hall; Sharryn McConkey; Peter Whittle; Jo Sherwood; Helen Abrahams; Ilan Ivory; Tim Capes; Steve Finnimore.

Thanks for letting us know.

Agenda item: Announcements and Correspondence

Presenter: Various

Discussion:

  • update on CBD Bike Centre unable to be provided;
  • Sylvan Road Hazard (Sebastian Tauchmann)
    • email sent to CBD BUG advising of hazards arising from road works. Seeking advice on likely end date
    • Mark Stanley to find out what’s going on and report back on it
  • Correspondence List (Paul Murdoch)
    • Mark Stanley email re Energex works: residents and businesses along detour route have been warned about need to expect cyclists. Energex is working on a response to the concerns and complaints which have been raised. For future works BCC & Energex will consult with CBD BUG before work commences.
    • cycling proficiency training – Yergona TAFE has cycling skills courses (proficiency, maintenance, etc), and the Active Parks program has rides with Bushranger Bikes (who also run maintenance courses)
    • awaiting arrival of some (free) Bike to Work week posters requested from League of American Bicyclists
    • update from TransLink re Eastern busway; awaiting response from our request for a speaker at May meeting
    • minutes of the Queensland Transport’s ITB BUG meeting (Comment: There seem to be more and more workplace-based BUGs forming)
    • response from BCC Active Transport Unit’s Alton Twine – CBD BUG to be invited to Ped/Bike Reference Group meetings where CBD issues being discussed;
  • BBTA (Elizabeth Catchpole – editor@bbta.org): BBTA (Brisbane Bicycle Touring Association) organises rides varying in distance, time and difficulty (from 10 to 300km). You can check the tour date calendar, meeting schedule, information and more on their website at www.bbta.org. Non-members can participate in up to three tours with the BBTA without needing to join: Membership is $30/year. The organisation also has a library and touring equipment for hire.

Action items

  • Mark Stanley to find out why the Sylvan Rd Resurfacing came as such a surprise (Due May 17)
  • Paul Murdoch to organise CBD Bike Centre update(Due May 17)

Agenda item: Previous Minutes & Matters Arising

Presenter: Various

Discussion:

  • BQ AGM (Paul Murdoch): The AGM was held on 23 March, and was well attended (reportedly the largest crowd ever – and certainly highest number of proxies ever were produced !). There were lots of discussions and some interesting voting. Councillor Graeme Quirk was the guest speaker, and the 20 or so minute presentation made it clear that he & the Lord Mayor are determined not to do anything pro-cycling if it means inconveniencing cars in any way. They are much more interested in pro-car projects where cycling infrastructure can be tacked-on as an incidental benefit. Some strong dissatisfaction with the notice, and conduct of the AGM, and allegations that the AGM may have been conducted unconstitutionally and may have to be redone – CBD BUG members encouraged to join and participate in BQ to ensure ‘our’ organisation is run for ‘our’ benefit and undertakes the advocacy required by cyclists.
  • QLD Transport Busways Speaker (Paul Murdoch): An invitation for a Translink representative to address a CBD BUG meeting regarding busways planning, and how cycling issues and concerns are identified and incorporated has been sent – a spaeker will address the next meeting.
  • CBD BUG Website (Sebastian Tauchmann): There’s a CBD BUG blog available at http://cbdbug.blogspot.com/ – the idea is to have information that is more or less static kept at http://members.optusnet.com.au/cbdbug and information (such as minutes, or copies of email, or notices) posted to the blog.
  • CBD BUG representatives on consultative/reference committees: Discussion about interest from members in representing for CBD BUG at various forums & consultation meetings, associated with the current rapid infrastructure development throughout Brisbane (Tunnels, Bridges, Busways etc etc). It was agreed to put together a panel of people that can be contacted to attend meetings and suchlike (case in point: Eastern Busways community reference group has no cyclist representation). There’s a suggestion that people nominate just for their local area or area they’re interested in representing, and what their commitment threshold is (i.e. will only be able to attend out-of-business hours meetings or will write letters and submissions but can’t make meetings or have quit work to be full-time CBD BUG advocate.) Volunteers nominating included: Peter Whittle, John Nightingale; John Lister; Paul french; Emma Scragg and Paul Murdoch

Action items

Issue

Who?

When?
Join and/or lobby BQ to do more advocacy

you

ongoing
Finalise Busways Speaker

Paul Murdoch

May 17
Update Blog and Website

Sebastian Tauchmann

Ongoing
CBD BUG members to nominate themselves (specifying commitment level and areas of interest) if interested in acting as a BUG representative

You

Asap & Ongoing

Agenda item: Hale Street Bridge Proposal

Presenter: Paul Murdoch

Discussion:

This is a fairly small project in the grand scheme of things, despite the kerfuffle about funneling and toll issues. One of the rationales for the Hale Street Bridge (HSB) is that motor traffic would be reduced on the William Jolly Bridge (WJB), thus making the WJB more suitable for local pedestrian and cycle traffic towards the north of the CBD (and returning). The withdrawal of one lane from motor vehicles for use as a bike and pedestrian lane has been proposed for the WJB.

A recent Courier-Mail article reported that Liberal Lord Mayor Campbell Newman’s proposal was being represented as a means of “funnelling” traffic towards a tolled HSB, and Councillor Hinchliffe and the ALP council majority was opposed to any such thing and would oppose the proposal unless the reduction in car lanes was dropped.

It was suggested that whilst CBD BUG members might have varying views about the desirability of the proposed Hale Street Bridge, given that both sides of BCC seem determined to build this bridge, we need to make sure that space is reclaimed on the WJB for bikes and pedestrians, and CBD BUG should voice our support for road reclamation in general and that we oppose the HSB unless the project results in the reclaiming of road space for pedestrians and cyclists.

This position, after discussion, was strongly supported. Paul Murdoch to write to Councillor Hinchliffe and LM Newman conveying these views.

Action items

Issue

Who?

When?
Draft pro-road-reclamation submission for the Hale Street Link project

Paul Murdoch

May 17

Agenda item: Bike-Bus initiative

Presenter: Peter Berkeley

Discussion:

Peter Berkeley has put together a draft flyer for a Bike-Bus. A Bike Bus is essentially a Bike Buddy scheme writ large: something akin to the Ride to Work Day groups travelling in large-ish bunches towards the city, travelling at social speeds (c. 18kmh) and encouraging people to talk to each other.

A couple of issues still need to be worked out, such as a possible destinations in the CBD which would have sufficient space for a large numbers of bikeso that bus participants could coffee/breakfast together and socialise (if desired). Peter hopes to start the first such Bus some time in May.

It’s a timely idea (we’ll not stop hearing about high petrol prices any time soon) and it’s also a good idea for places with bad access for cyclists (eg anywhere North of the CBD) to have large numbers of bikes on the road at the same time, rather than in ones or twos.

There was some discussion about compenssation/liability issues. It was pointed out that (currently) all Queensland workers are covered by workers’ compensation if travelling to/from work (nb. Commonwealth employees face the loss of this in the near future), and also that BQ membership meant personal accident insurance could be accessed in the event of an unfortunate accident. There does not appear to be any need to investigate public liability issues with this scheme.

Action items

Issue

Who?

When?
Provide updated flyer for Bike Bus

Peter Berkeley

May 17

Agenda item: Other Items

Presenter: Various

Discussion:

  • Bike Buddy Scheme: Paul Murdoch has a Bike Buddy blurb available for BUG members to adapt (eg by adding their name and extension number) and then disseminate onto corporate intranets and noticeboards. Please contact him (Paul.Murdoch@dva.gov.au) for a copy.
  • THAT [blessed] DETOUR on the Bicentennial Bikeway: Can we get an update on when it will FINALLY be done away with?

Action items

Issue

Who?

When?
If you want a copy of the Bike Buddy Blurd, contact Paul Murdoch

You

Ongoing
Update on Bicentennial Bikeway detour

Mark Stanley

asap

Agenda item: Next Meeting

Presenter: Paul Murdoch

Discussion:

Next meeting will be held at the BCC Library Theatrette between 1pm and 2pm on Wednesday, May17

That concludes the notes of the April meeting.

Thanks for reading.

The CBD BUG Bloggers

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>